- 1 heaped cup boysenberries, or other berries (about 220g/0.5lb)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Lemon balm leaves, to garnish (or mint leaves, both optional)
Lightly mash fruit and stir through one cup of sugar. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 days, stirring daily. You can leave it on the countertop in cooler climates.
Stir the mixture, then strain the syrupy fruit through a sieve and discard the solids. If there's undissolved sugar, mix it in.
Stir in the vinegar, starting with half a cup and tasting as you go. I used the full cup.
Pour into a bottle with a lid and pop it in the fridge.
Serve about 1 tbsp of shrub syrup in a mixed drink. Try it with soda water, and a splash of vodka or other spirits if you like. Garnish with fresh lemon balm or mint leaves.
- Makes about 2 cups of shrub syrup.
- Fresh or frozen berries can be used, just defrost them first if using frozen.
Calories: 29kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Potassium: 15mg | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 5IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 0.1mg