Fresh, tasty and high in protein, this is a simple recipe for a delicious sandwich filling. Great at home, in a lunchbox or packed for a picnic.
It's easy to fall into a rut with lunch. I love salads for lunch but don't always have the time to prepare something filling enough, or with enough protein to keep me going all afternoon.
This tasty sandwich filling is a refreshing change. Mashed chickpeas, red onion, almonds, cranberries and aioli. Peppery rocket. Soft squishy rye bread. Yum, yum and yum.
Make a batch of this and keep it in the fridge to enjoy in sandwiches over a few days. Suddenly what to have for lunch is a no brainer.
- 1 can of chickpeas drained
- Half a small red onion finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoon flaked almonds
- 3 tablespoon aioli (I used eggless aioli, or use aioli, mayonnaise or vegenaise of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice or vinegar of your choice - optional)
- Rocket to serve (arugula)
- Good quality bread of your choice to serve (I used rye)
- Roughly mash the chickpeas, you want a chunky but sticky consistency.
- Add the red onion, cranberries, flaked almonds and aioli. Stir to combine.
- Taste and add salt and plenty of pepper to season. I like this to have a bit of bite, so also added an extra teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Assemble sandwiches with a layer of rocket and a good dollop of chickpea salad.
- Makes enough filling for about 4 sandwiches.