Fried rice with scrambled tofu and lots of veg is a quick and easy weeknight dinner, which uses up leftovers (yes!) and is packed with colour and flavour.
Got some cold leftover rice lurking in the fridge? Or a packet of that precooked stuff in the pantry? Then you're halfway to a quick and delicious meal my friend.
I wanted fried rice, but not the normal soy sauce flavoured kind, so this fried rice is somewhere else on the road between regular Chinese style fried rice and a spicy Indian kedgeree. Or maybe it's just a modern spicy fried rice, cauliflower and scrambled tofu dish. Anyway whatever you want to call it, it was quick, easy and delicious.
I had half a big packet of soft tofu leftover from making the chocolate and raspberry cheesecakes, so I broke it up with my hands and added it in with everything else. Really a lot like the usual egg in fried rice, it just melded in with everything else, soaked up flavour and you could hardly tell it was there.
If tofu from the Asian grocer is a mystery to you, don't feel bad. There are always quite a few types on the shelf and I can see how it might be intimidating knowing which to choose. Generally all of the big blocks that come in a takeaway type container and packed in water are pretty soft and suitable for using in something like this. The tightly vacuum packed blocks are a lot firmer and better to use when you want actual squares or slices of tofu in a dish.
I didn't have quite enough leftover rice for the rice to be the star of the show, but I did have cauliflower, so I added heaps and of course that worked perfectly to bulk up the meal. Cauliflower and spices are just meant to be together forever.
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil or vegetable oil of your choice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups cauliflower florets cut small
- ½ cup frozen peas thawed
- ½ a red capsicum finely chopped
- 250 g soft tofu
- 2 cups cold cooked rice
- 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- ½-1 teaspoon chilli flakes optional
- ½-1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 2 spring onions (scallions) thinly sliced (whites and greens)
- Large handful coriander (cilantro) finely chopped
- 1-2 fresh limes for squeezing
- Add peanut and sesame oils to a large frypan or wok and heat to medium-high.
- Add garlic, give it a quick stir and then add the cauliflower. Stirfry for a minute or two, then continuing to stirfry in between each addition, add frozen peas, capsicum, tofu, rice, spices and salt.
- Stirfry until the rice is heated through and everything looks and smells amazing.
- Stir through spring onions and coriander just before serving, reserving a little of each to garnish.
- Serve with lime wedges for squeezing.