This low calorie, low sugar, watermelon smoothie with raspberry, cucumber and mint is the ultimate hydrating, refreshing smoothie for a hot summer day.
Whether it's a hot day, you're detoxing, recovering from a workout or you just want a refreshing and healthy drink, this watermelon smoothie has got you sorted.
Watermelon in a smoothie?
If you've never tried watermelon in a smoothie, give it a go. You'll be pleasantly surprised at its delicate, refreshing flavour. The first time I tried it was in Malaysia about six years ago, where fresh watermelon juice (blended watermelon) is popular and readily available everywhere.
Watermelon, cucumber and raspberries all have a high water content, low sugar and calories in general, and they're all really refreshing. Blend them up with a handful of mint and you have a seriously hydrating and refreshing drink on your hands. The mint also gives a boost of iron - it is after all a leafy green. Is this a nice way to increase your iron intake or what?
I also love that this smoothie is only lightly sweet and less of a full meal than some smoothies can be, which makes it perfect for a mid-afternoon pick me up. That's exactly how I enjoyed it, sitting in the sun watching my kids play in the back yard.
For those of you enjoying summer right now, I hope you've also been able to spend lots of time relaxing outdoors with the people you love.
I'm certainly feeling blessed right now.
Get the recipe
- Half a small watermelon (2-3 cups, peeled and chopped)
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- Half a telegraph cucumber
- 3-4 sprigs fresh mint leaves
- Remove watermelon flesh and roughly chop.
- Peel all or some of the skin from your cucumber if you like (I peeled about half of the skin so there wouldn't be too much in the smoothie).
- Blend watermelon, raspberries, cucumber and mint until smooth. Top up with a little water or a handful of ice and blend again.
- Serve immediately.