Nourishing almond, apple and banana muffins made with mixed flours and a good dose of LSA are a healthy snack or breakfast on the go.
I don't bake all that often, because to me baking generally means cake or dessert, and sometimes you can have too much of a good thing! But of course baking doesn't have to be indulgent. These muffins are lower in sugar and fat, but still so moist and delicious.
Spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg, these muffins are made with a base that is equal parts almond meal, white flour and wholemeal flour. Grated apple, golden sultanas, banana and a small dash of maple syrup ensure ample sweetness. Extra goodness comes in the form of LSA, a nutty tasting mixture of ground raw linseed (also known as flaxseed), sunflower seeds and almonds which together are a good source of omega fatty acids, dietary fibre and a range of vitamins and minerals.
Moist and quite light, you would never guess these are dairy and egg free. Both linseed (flaxseed) and bananas can act as egg replacers and work well together as the binding agents in this recipe. I used soy milk because it's what I had on hand, but you could also used almond milk or another milk of your choice.
The final result is like a delicious and healthier hybrid of banana cake and carrot cake (I think I might try a version of these with grated carrot next time!).
I really enjoyed these muffins for breakfast with sliced oranges and a coffee, and they'll also be making an appearance in this week's lunchboxes. My big girl isn't a huge fan of snacking on almonds, but funnily enough almost anything goes if it comes in muffin form.
Get the recipe
- ½ cup ground almonds (almond meal)
- ½ cup wholemeal flour
- ½ cup white flour
- ¼ cup LSA
- ¼ cup golden sultanas
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 granny smith apple cored and grated
- ¾ cup soy milk or milk of your choice
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup or sweetener of your choice
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil melted if solid
- 1-2 tablespoon flaked almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200C (390F) fanbake.
- Grease a 12 hole muffin pan with melted coconut oil or cooking spray.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Spoon mixture evenly into muffin pan holes.
- Sprinkle with flaked almonds, if using, and gently press them into the mixture to ensure they stick once baked.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden, springy to touch and a toothpick comes out clean.